Thursday, November 11, 2010

Birthday Blunders

My life has been a big ball of birthday blunders. Actually holiday blunders in general, but mostly birthday.

1997 - 5 years old, Christmas Eve : My dad was laying on the ground in my room, I was sitting on his stomach, and I was very concerned. Now know this, as a 5 year old, I was a very inquisitive child, I wanted to know everything. So when I asked questions, I expected complete honesty. Now, parents know this - some questions are not meant to be answered honestly. So I looked at my father, and I asked him, "Dad, is Santa Claus real?" And he answered me... NO. My life was officially ruined at the tender age of FIVE. I mean come on, I was five years old, I had hopes and dreams that all revolved around the idea of Santa Claus. Really dad? I was the kid who wrote my christmas list in JUNE. My birthday is the LAST day of June, but Christmas was more important to me. I had to let Santa know that I was about to be another year older, but still just as good, and I wanted to get that new American Girl Doll for Christmas. I was a planner and I was extatic about Christmas, but lemme just tell you, Christmas is kind of a buzz kill when it comes and goes without any fun, no cookies eaten by Santa Claus, or carrots eaten by the reindeer, because THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUS.  WAY TO RUIN MY LIFE DAD [LOVE YOU :)]

2002 - 10 years old, Birthday : I was sick and tired of getting underwear and socks for my birthday. I mean socks are great right, but UNDERWEAR?! No ten year old wants to get underwear for their birthday, I mean a new bike, or a cool cd player, or something, but underwear?! Not okay. So I make ONE request, I mean I am about to age out of my single digit years, be a big two-digit girl ya know? I should get what I want right, I mean this is the biggest birthday of my young life, so all I ask is not to get underwear on my birthday. Simple request, any loving kind parent who cares about the well-being of their child would listen, and make sure to not get their child underwear for their birthday. Not my parents. It doesn't matter if my self-esteem and self-worth was shot at close range, or
 concept of unconditional love, crushed under a foot a million times bigger than a wolly mammoth, no big. I got underwear, and underwear, and more underwear, and even more underwear. I had so much underwear I could have gone 5 years without repeating a pair, because I had hundreds. I would get a purse as a presant, open it only to find it full of underwear. Jeans, no big deal, the pockets would have underwear stuffed in them. Everyone we knew gave me underwear for my birthday. I was crushed, I was upset and broken, and had no idea what to do with my life. Now, 8 years later, I see this as a joke, I understand how it was funny, but that will never take away from the torture I went through, the agony I suffered through, the year I got underwear for my birthday.

2009 - 16 years old, Birthday(s)- I was extatic. I was FINALLY sixteen years old, the day I had been waiting for anxiously since I was like 12. So during the summer we have kids that stay with us from Belarus, and I absolutely love them to death. BUT, on MY birthday, my sweet sixteen, there was the annual kids birthday party at the Angus Barn. This is great right, I mean technically I get to celebrate my birthday at the Angus Barn too, but my sweet sixteen is suddenly turned into 22 Belarussian childrens birthday too?! So I do my best to enjoy it, really I did. But it just wasn't happening for me. I couldn't go shopping like I do every birthday, I didn't have anything the way it always was because we were at Angus Barn for HOURS celebrating everyones birthday ignoring the fact that it was actually MY birthday. Yeah, I know this sounds selfish, I get it now since I'm so much older and wiser and everything.. But really, I do get that it seems selfish but it was my sweet sixteen for heavens sake. Since I was just so excited to be sixteen, I had invited over a bunch of the families to come and swim in the pool and celebrate with us weeks in advance. But, after this wearing day, of sitting and watching everyone else turn a year older and wiser and celebrate their birthdays, I honestly just wanted to be alone with my family and mourn the loss of what was supposed to be a wonderful day. But I didn't even get the pleasure of being depressed on my birthday, because we had 13 other people to entertain. I refused to swim with the other kids, I sat inside and pouted like a spoiled little birthday princess. The sad thing was, I really wasn't the spoiled little princess that day. My sixteenth birthday was so horrible, and I was so miserable that I did not even want to open my presents. I simply went to bed, deflated and depressed. Lucky for me, my family loves me and so we celebrated four days later, my "sweet sixteen". They decorated my room, got my favorite candy, had my boyfriend surprise me, the whole nine yards. Lucky for me, my horrible day was revisited and much better the second time.

2010 - 17 years old, Birthday: I have an issue with birthdays. By this point in time, I have competely given up on ever hoping for a normal wonderful birthday celebration. I have accepted that it is never going to happen, and no matter how detailed of a plan I make, something will always make sure that it does not happen. This year, I was in Belarus until June 15th, that left 15 days for my family to help me plan and perfect my birthday, right? Not so much. I had surgery the 23rd, and so we just put off the whole birthday discussion, I guess they had figured that if they didn't ask, and I didn't bring it up, we could pretty much put it off, because my birthday -which would happen exactly a week after my surgery- could easily come and go without any notice becasue I would be so highly drugged off of my pain medicine. Well lucky for them, I kind of did forget about it, I mean I had a lot on my mind, I was just gone in Belarus for two weeks, I had to catch up with friends, I had to do all the last minute crazy things I had to get done before my monster sling would restrict the rest of my summer, truly the last thing on my mind was my 17th birthday. So my surgery comes and goes, and finally I realize that my birthday was in the next few days. So I begin planning, I didn't know what I wanted, or really what I wanted to do (I was still having trouble thinking on my own), I knew what I wanted for dinner, I was informed that we would go see twilight, but other than that there was no plan. It's really hard to mess up, when there is no plan, but of course it still managed to happen. 1. I ordered my own cake, you know you're growing up when that happens. 2. We go to the movie, I took one of my best friends with me, but we had to bring her back home because her sister and I have the same birthday. 3. Everyone was too busy to come and see me. 4. My shoulder was killing me. and best of all, my FAVORITE birthday memory by far, 5. I got NO presents. Not only that, I got no cards, nothing. If there was ever a fail of a birthday, this one was definately it. May I just say, that even still today, November 11, 2010, ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY FOUR DAYS LATER, I still have not gotten a card, not even from my family. YAYYYYYYY BIRTHDAYS.

No comments:

Post a Comment